Same Gender Marriage

So one of my friends posted this video:    I was raised by lesbian parents




And I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this response to it.  While it was a very well done speech, I think this girl got her point across as well. 

"That guys was awesome! Very intelligent, very handsome, very charismatic. But I still think he is arguing the wrong issue. In a country where many children are raised by single parents, or multi-generations, the question is not who is fit to raise children. There would be calls for mass sterilizations if that were the case. The argument is much more basic than that - it comes down to the family being the basic unit of society, the basic ingredient of our country and world. Eons ago when the first man married the first woman, it wasn't because he crawled out of a cave and fell in love. I believe it was because of specific instruction from God. In fact, getting married for love is a rather new concept in the history of the world. Trying to change marriage to fit people's lifestyle just doesn't make sense to me.   It seems natural to me to let people live their lives as they see fit, but not to call it something it is not."  -April Johnson




The definition of marriage has changed so much in the past eighty years, that perhaps the new type ought to have it's own name - like civil union.


Webster as of 2008 defines marriage as: "(1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as a husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law. (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage."
Here is the Webster 1828 dictionary definition ofmarriage: "(1): The act of uniting a man and woman for life; wedlock; the legal union of a man and woman for life. Marriage is a contract both civil and religious, by which the parties engage to live together in mutual affection and fidelity, till death shall separate them. Marriage was instituted by God himself for the purpose of preventing the promiscuous intercourse of the sexes, for promoting domestic felicity, and for securing the maintenance and education of children." Note that Webster relates current and common use of words in a culture. (taken from principlesofliberty.blogspot.com)

Fascinating subject.  I'd like to study more into it.  As for myself, I believe that we were put on this earth to learn to get along with the opposite gender, to become one, to raise children and to become an eternal unit.  God certainly created the correct body parts to make that possible far before artificial insemination.  I suppose that because of our scientific capabilities we feel we can justify whatever makes us 'happy'.  I know God is the source of true joy.  Therefore, I will trust in His plan for us as His children and believe that the way He set it all up is more valid than our own emotions.

Comments

Michelle said…
Thank you for that. You wrote this post well. Do you mind if I post a link to your blog from my blog or face book page about your post? I am glad people like you stand up for what you belive.
Rachael said…
That's fine, go for it! I'd be honored.

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Place

Utah Life

My Sweet Little Girls