Potter's Clay

In high school and college, I took many art classes.  For one assignment, I painted what I like to call 'Potter's Clay'.
I have it hanging on my hall wall, and often notice it when I pass by during the day.  I was quite familiar then with the concept of us being like clay in the Potter's hands, being molded and shaped to become something magnificent and beautiful over time.  I remember that with each stroke, my focus was solely on our Creator.  And although I was a beginning painter, I wanted so much to convey this powerful image in a way that would let the Lord know that I desired more than anything His influence, His touch in my life.
  There is an ensign article that brought even more meaning to my painting.  I'd like to share a few things that really struck me tonight as I studied further into the subject.
  President Heber C. Kimball spoke about many vessels being destroyed after being molded and shaped because of their misinterpretation or misunderstanding of the design or purpose - and their desire to go their own way, to meet their own ideals.  He mentions how the Lord speaks through his servants, and works through us to bring change for the better into other's lives~and that it would be wise for us to learn to be perfectly limber, teachable, moldable in the Lord's hands in order that he may work with us more easily.
  He then puts the question out there, what makes clay snap?
His answer...when it is pulling it's own way, or not being submissive (meaning: ready to conform to the authority; meekly obedient or passive) in the hands of the potter.
In Isaiah 29:16 it says,
"'Shall the work say of him that made it, 'he made me not'?"
Chapter fourty-five:
"Wo unto him that striveth with his Maker!
Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, 'What makest thou?'  or thy work, 'he hath no hands'?"
[my interpretation - questioning God or being skeptical of his design, and then going one step further and denying his very existence or his ability to have power or influence in this world]
"Thus saith the Lord, the Holy one of Israel and his maker,
'Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands-command ye me.'"
He is beckoning to us, that if we have any question or concerns about His plan for us that we'd be wise to go directly to Him about it.
verse sixteen ~
"They shall be ashamed and also confounded, and all of them they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols."
"But Israel shall be saved in the Lord...ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end."
"In the Lord shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory."
And the last scripture that sums it all up for me, and if I were ever to enter my painting into an art show (which won't happen), this would be it's caption:
"But now O Lord, thou art our Father; we are the clay and thou our Potter; and we all are the work of thine hand." Isaiah 64:8


So beautiful, this message, and so important for us to acknowledge His hand in all things.  Now I'll be sure to ponder a little more deeply, and let it affect me in a more profound way as I glance at the painting on the wall.  I want to be submissive and limber in His hands ~ because although I may not understand the meaning or at first recognize the beauty in the design, I have faith that whatever He's making out of me will be beyond anything I could be on my own.



Comments

Mom W. said…
Beautiful - thank you for sharing your insights. You are a special daughter of God.

Popular posts from this blog

My Sweet Little Girls

Falling Into Place

Utah Life