Stay at Home Mom

There is a perception out there that being a stay-at-home Mom isn't a job, or that we're lazy and not really doing our part in contributing to a thriving society. Well, I'm here to tell those people that I am doing possibly the most important work in this world. And I deserve nothing but respect for what I do every day and night.

I've always been a hard worker. My favorite jobs growing up were hard core landscaping (laying fire stone, leveling yards, pruning, hedging) construction (roofing, framing etc.). I'd have heat exhaustion for the first two weeks of my outside summer jobs. I stacked trailers like the guys at UPS and loved every minute of it. I threw the javelin and had six hours of physical training every day, placed at nationals in college, and won many gold medals in high school and Jr. High. I had nine younger brother's and sister's and spent the majority of my free time cleaning, taking care of and serving them - doing whatever I could to lighten my parent's load.
None of that compares to motherhood and with it all it's demands while being physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted about %85 of the time...no one looking out for you because you are the giver and have so many needs to fill every day. No one to make meals or take care of you when you're sick. No one to fill in when you're completely sleep deprived, exercise and food deprived because you're so busy taking care of everyone and everything. Loosing yourself while gaining some of the strongest characteristics ever. I thought I had some pretty good preparation for motherhood. Looking back, it was only a small taste of all that goes into it. You really don't have a clue until you experience it.

Comments

Kelsey said…
Again, a great post. I've had some hard, stressful and long-houred jobs, but like you, nothing compares to being a mom. There is no end. There is no break. There is no "going home". But it's worth it. No matter how hard and exhausting it can get, nothing beat it.
Hooray for Mom's! I totally agree with your post 100%. Thanks for jotting it down!

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Place

My Sweet Little Girls