Like a Dream

I had possibly the WORST experience of my life on Monday and Tuesday.  Two of the longest days, most exhausting in every way.  I might share all the details some other time.  But we made it home at last after close to thirty hours spent just trying to reach our final destination.
Because of this, as I was reading our chapter for family scripture study on Tuesday night, I couldn't help but feel a closeness and an even deeper gratitude and love for my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I want to share the verses that touched my heart with anyone who would like to read.

Philippians 2:3-16

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but  now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
For it is God  which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain."

After nearly having  a nervous breakdown in the airport, through my sobs of desperation and exhaustion, I sensed an underlying purpose - a sure steadiness that this was truly a small thing, and it would soon be over.

Through every disappointment in life, even the small ones which leave me a little empty and sad after I've given my all, I know that it will not be in vain.
I see many around me giving up.  "What's the use if I don't believe it?"
Because of Jesus Christ's atonement - I know with a surety that nothing will go unrewarded.  A perfect balance of justice and mercy according to our Judge, Him who has walked with us all, and understands with the greatest of empathy our daily struggles and joys.  We will all confess at that day that Jesus is the Christ, and that His ways are just.  I hope those within the sound of my voice will remember somehow, even if they've buried such feelings, remember who they are. Whatever master you serve will have greatest power over you, to your happiness or to your destruction.
  I know Jesus Christ lives.  He is our rock, our source of truth and stability...our way  back home.  If we are willing to give up our own selfish interests, we will be heirs to His Kingdom and all that He has.  Seems a little unfair knowing all we fall short of each day.  But He has met the demands of justice in our  behalf.  He loves us that much.  
Now I don't know about you all.  But I am reverenced at the mere thought that He loves me that much.  What have I done to deserve His love -- not nearly enough.  I don't have to earn it, and yet, I want so badly to live worthily of it, in some effort to at least show how much I care that He gave His life for us all.  In an effort to show my GRATITUDE for HIS love and daily mercies which I  recognize only in partiality.

What may have felt like a never-ending nightmare, soon turned into a feeling of reverence for my creator, who made it possible for me to go through such things, in order that I might gain the knowledge and traits necessary to be a recipient of all that He has in store for me.  Denying myself of worldly gratification, trusting that I as God's child, am capable of being taught directly from Him - creates pure gratitude, as well as a sure hope that all will be well.

Comments

B. Perky said…
Thanks, I was on the edge myself when I read this. You brought me back from the brink.
Heather said…
Thank you for this post. You have such a way of making the hard things seem totally great. It is amazing to be able to take a step back and remember that we are loved beyond compare. And He knows what we are going through!!! Thanks again!!

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Place

My Sweet Little Girls