Echinacea and Goldenseal

Echinacea and Goldenseal is my new best friend.  
In the Dictionary
Echinacea;
  • "a North American coneflower.  It is used in herbal medicine, largely for its antibiotic and wound-healing properties."
Goldenseal, in google;
  • "...is one of the most popular herbs on the market today.  It was traditionally used by Native Americans to treat skin disorders, digestive problems, liver conditions, diarrhea, and eye irritations...it has strong activity against a variety of bacteria, yeast and fungi, such as E. Coli and Candida.  
  • Goldenseal gained widespread popularity in the early 1800s due to its promotion by a charismatic herbalist named Samuel Thompson. .
  • Over the years, goldenseal has gone through periods of popularity.  There is currently great demand for it, which has driven the price up.
  • Good for:
  • minor wound healing
  • bladder infections
  • fungal infections of the skin
  • colds and flu
  • sinus and chest congestion
Ginnie fell flat on her face in the parking lot during a snow storm three days ago, biting her upper lip connected to her gums and scraping her nose and both lips pretty badly.
Hyrum has broken out with strep yet again, sores all over his bum after ten days of antibiotics, and yesterday, he put his three fingers on the hot unit and got himself some pretty bad second degree burns.
For Ginnie's lip, I put Echinacea and Goldenseal powder on it.  Here it is four days later and you'd never know she was hurt.  If I'd of taken her in for stitches, I'm almost certain there would be some sort of scarring.  It was bad.
For Hyrum's strep, garllic oil which has antibacterial properties, and echinacea and goldenseal powder sprinkled over that.  Within a day and a half, it's almost completely cleared up.
For his burns, aloe first to take out the heat and sting of the burn, then chamomile ointment for comfort, followed by, once again, echinacea and goldenseal.
It happened yesterday morning, and he can't even remember which hand it is that was hurt now that's how much it's not bothering him since yesterday early evening.  

This stuff works wonders.
Now to try to build up Hyrum's immune system...this kid has come down with ANOTHER cold in the past couple days.  Maybe he has allergies (stinging nettle, that's good for allergies I've learned).  He's always fighting something.  This morning I made them a shake with banana, frozen peaches, spinach, purified water, yogurt (probiotics), and stevia (an herb whose leaves are the source of a non-caloric sweetener, thirty times sweeter than sugar, but without the side affects that regular refined sugars have on the sugar-sensitive).  Anyway, that, their regular vitamins which are all naturally, derived from fruits and vegetables, and some good old Air Borne.  I made cookies the other day with molasses and unsweetened applesauce for sweetness.  They were delicious.  I love doing healthy things for my family once in a while.  I just hope to incorporate what I know more often than not, rather than once in a while.  This week has been a test from the Lord, no doubt...to see if I'd apply what I have learned, and to prepare me to be of help to others in the future.
For athlete's foot, tea tree oil works wonders as well...but echinacea and goldenseal and garlic oil - also really good...they all have in common antifungal, antibacterial properties.  That's what makes them so useful in irritating skin problems.

I think I'll put a bunch of capsules of this stuff into my first aid and seventy-two hour kits.  It's a great immune booster too.



Comments

Suzie said…
Great stuff to know. read about this stuff
http://www.campingsurvival.com/cosias.html

colloidal silver - tori gets BAD cold sores and this is the only thing that helped. the doc told us it would be 3 to 4 weeks. this works in under 1 week. It rocks - for other htings as well. its a probiotic too! safe on babies.....
I'm Always Rite said…
Holy cow! You are incredible! I've researched herbs and other natural "cures". I've even worked at GNC and had full access to them all. But I have not been so good lately at applying what I know. Wow! Go you! Great idea putting some in your 72-hour kits as well! :)

PS This is Margarite, My Girl is in Dan's primary class and came to the class party at your house last week. :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Sweet Little Girls

Falling Into Place

Utah Life