We've been working on letters and potty-training lately.  
This morning, we learned the letter L.  We try to do a letter every day, learn the sound, then do some sort of craft or art work that helps us learn it.  Yesterday we did play dough.  Today, construction paper.
Hyrum wanted a red Lightening McQueen, and La La Rose.  La La Rose is a book we checked out last week that the kids couldn't get enough of.  I enjoyed it thoroughly as well. It was written and illustrated by an asian woman and was about a little stuffed rabbit called La La Rose.  Anyway, we had fun doing that this morning.  
Ginnie is getting the hang of going potty all the time.  Whenever she asks for a diaper, I tell her, "Ginnie, you're a big girl now.  No more diapers."  She's long past due and I've run out of excuses other than I'm being lazy because now it's just a matter of taking away the crutch that's holding her back.  She's more like a four-year-old in maturity so there really is no excuse for her to be wearing diapers anymore.  She fights still...but I think this is it.

I've seen a trace of chicken pox on both Hyrum and Ginnie.  Just glad Angela isn't a new born and will hopefully handle it just fine.
Angela is loving all the different foods I'm giving her now, and also exploring full rooms-and starting to venture into the hallway and peek into other rooms.  She is getting into everything already.  Tomorrow, she'll be seven months.  Hyrum and Ginnie are adorable with her, keeping her occupied with her own toys while they try to resume their regular imaginary games with blocks and other things.  They are the greatest big brother and sister ever.  I swear the Lord knew I'd need their personalities to raise a family at all.  I couldn't do it without them, and they are full of wisdom and love.

I need to do a whole lot more of waiting and listening before reacting with them...because it's when I act out of fear that I'm constantly wanting to control them.  Today, I sat and watched as Hyrum got a little rough with Angela in a boy-like way.  Usually, I'd interfere and remind him in an accusatory tone to be soft.  Instead, I just watched and saw that Angela was enjoying it, she's not exactly a sensitive little girl.  I realized that Hyrum, being as natural as he is with babies, would never hurt her intentionally so that I just need to relax sometimes and let him be a boy.  He's such a good big brother and both of his sister's have absolutely adored him from the first time he held them.  He seems to have such a special bond with both of them.
Lately, I've noticed that Ginnie is just flat out mean towards him when she gets in her teasing moods - and after a while of her torment, Hyrum will sort of blow up and react impulsively, then Ginnie comes a wailin'.  This is so the story of younger vs. older siblings, isn't it?  Some are the other way around, I know.  Still, Hyrum and Ginnie are like two peas in a pod and are best friends.  They work things out by themselves most of the time just fine.  They're quite good at it.  It reminds me of a mini-marriage.  They give and take, they both have their moments of selfishness, being demanding, or bossy.  Whoever is in a better mood will usually accommodate and show great patience with the other.  Every once in a while, they'll both be in a bad mood and all hell breaks loose for a short time.  But soon enough, they're back to their interdependent selves.  They ask for help from each other when needed.  

There are times when I'm not sure who the adults are at our house.  Ginnie will often tell Daddy when he needs to come for scriptures.  Hyrum will tell me when I need to be nice.  We all learn from each other, and they know that even though they're so small in this big world, they can make a difference and their voices will be heard.  They keep me on track...we sure are blessed to have the children we do.  They're wonderful.

I'm so grateful for my husband who shows a great example in almost every area of life for our children.  I love him.  I love them.  I love that we can be together forever and I hope to treasure every conversation or hug I get to share with each of them from now until I grow old.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sweet Little Girls

Falling Into Place

Utah Life