Working and Playing, Playing and Working

+  Suzanne (Dan's sister) is coming tomorrow with her kiddos.  We're going to see the play "Wicked" with her and her friend.  I'm totally excited and grateful for our friends Sandy and Matt coming to babysit FIVE kids ages five and under.  This is one reason I'm up so late.  Trying to organize everything in my mind so I can accomplish all I need to in preparation for company as well as continuing getting ready for the move.
  Dan got his desk organized today (one of the few really big projects we needed to get done before we move)-now all I have left is our closet, the outside storage closet, and getting rid of a few things out of the kids' toys and kitchen cupboards.
  We're not pack rats by any means-some would call us minimalists-I mean, if we can live without it, we do.  So there really isn't too much to do, but I'd like to slowly get all the details taken care of that seem to be time consumer's if left for the last day before inspection (washing light fixtures, blinds, windows...all the mundane stuff).  I ought to have this moving thing down to a T by the time we retire from the military.

  Angela is cooing, and nearly giggling now.  She squeaks when she gets really excited.  I've never had so much fun with my baby's as I've had with her.  I guess she just brings out the happiest side in everyone.  What a blessing, she's truly what I needed to not take life so seriously.  I've been focusing on playing with my kids more lately-and we're having so much fun.  I had to remember what it's like to be a kid again, something that seems to come more naturally to my husband (he wrestles and plays tag with them, dances and sings his own silly songs and is constantly making a ruckus when he gets home from work, as well as right before scripture study each evening...which riles them up-but they love that playtime with Daddy).
  The potty training thing, I gave up on for a while.  Now, Ginnie goes a few times or more a day-I'll do more when I can handle more, but for now this is good.  
  We love being a family-working and playing together.
Thursday morning I decided we would clean the house.  So I wrote down small, simple chores on little strips of paper and we took turns choosing one at a time until the house was cleaned up. In a seperate bowl from the chores one, were our names in case anyone wanted a helper.  Dan wanted to choose a helper most the time (and it was me more often than not).  After a while, because I was sort of directing the whole thing, getting everyone to follow through, I told Dan that I thought he was perfectly capable of doing some chores all by himself (it's pretty funny how when I take charge, he turns into a kid).  He makes me laugh often.
  And although Ginnie, being the regular two year old she is, got distracted a lot, I was able to keep her pretty on task for an entire hour.  Hyrum worked circles around anyone (except maybe me) for about an hour and a half straight (some of the chores were things like "do Ginnie's hair", and "make lemonade" both of which Hyrum chose).
It was a lot of fun.
I've been working on the more thorough things that I can never seem to get to since having my third child.  I'm lucky if I pick up the floor, do the dishes, and make beds once a day.  Three is a whole different ball game from two.

We'll get there.

  I don't feel at peace unless I'm organized and prepared for future events.  But I'm taking it one day at a time.  It took an hour or more to get all three kids, and myself bathed/showered and dressed for the day (with a baby in need of comforting, and a defiant two year old).  Thank goodness Hyrum is so patient because the girls take the most time.  He's a big help to me.  Today, when he was done playing memory, he cleaned it up without being asked to.  Because he's been so good recently, he filled his sticker chart so I took him to the dollar store and let him choose two toys as a reward.  It's really working for him.  I'm not sure Ginnie gets the concept, she doesn't seem to care either way-and that's one reason we've had a hard time with potty training (hers is a potty and good behavior sticker chart) because she simply doesn't care about getting stickers taken away (accidents or naughty behavior).  I mean, she has fun putting them on, but she's such an independent little person and sort of just steers her own ship wherever she feels like going at the moment.  So potty training is an on-going process.  It's still more of a fight than not getting her to go but every once in a great while, she'll go of her own free will without any reminding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Into Place

Utah Life

My Sweet Little Girls